Tuesday, October 29, 2013

NaNoWriMo

Call me crazy, give it a second and you will, but I just signed up for National Novel Writing Month! Dan, my wonderful boyfriend, keeps telling me I should write a book. When he does, I always sigh and say, "I'd like to...one day."

We were at Starbucks this weekend and as we waited for our drinks I wandered over to the local events bulletin board. Right there in front of me was a poster for NaNoWriMo and it might as well have said, "THIS IS FOR YOU! STOP MAKING EXCUSES!" So I give up. I'm going to write a novel even if it's terrible and confusing and pathetic. I've been reading the book, No Plot, No Problem! by the creator of NaNoWriMo. He is convinced, as am I, that the most difficult thing about writing is just doing it! He argues that by having a deadline, people are forced to write instead of being "one day" novelists who just keep waiting for the time to be right.

Although I will probably never let anyone read the 50,000 word excuse for a novel at the end of this, I'm excited for the satisfaction of just doing it. Maybe this event will help me overcome the fear of writing something awful.

Wish me luck!

Until next time, Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment