Thursday, January 30, 2014

Work-With-What-You've-Got Granola

I've felt like making granola ever since my future sister-in-law, Lucy, showed me pictures of the granola she made. It looked so golden, crunchy, and wholesome that I've been craving it without even knowing what it tastes like! So I did what any good baker would do: I found a recipe and then completely changed it so that I could use the ingredients I already had at home. Here is my own version of a few different recipes with what I have.

Healthy Homemade Granola

Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
Baking time: around 15 minutes

Ingredients:
2 cups of old fashioned oats
1/3 cup raw seeds (I used sunflower)
2 tsp of cinnamon
3 tbsp of maple syrup
2 tbsp coconut oil
½ tsp vanilla extract a nice pinch of sea salt

Preheat the oven to 300. Combine all the ingredients in a medium/large bowl (I used my hands). Make sure you don’t have any clumps of coconut oil in there if you’re working in a cool room. Spread the mixture thinly and evenly on a baking sheet. Then, bake the mix for 12 minutes, remove and stir, and then give it another 3-5 minutes. The mixture won’t be perfectly crunchy at first, but if it’s a nice golden color then it’s done. Cool the granola on a wire rack and give it a stir every 5 minutes until it’s completely cool. Then, store the granola in a cool place in an airtight container for up to two weeks!

For my second batch, because I was having so much fun, I eliminated the vanilla and cinnamon, and added chopped dried cranberries instead. So yummy!







Enjoy and let me know what you think!

Until next time!
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment